BY JAMES WILKINSON
Qantas is set to resume direct Sydney-Tokyo services on April 19, following the diversion of flights via Hong Kong in the wake of last month’s deadly earthquake and tsunami.
The airline had been flying service via Hong Kong for crew rest reasons because of rolling power outages and traffic issues in Tokyo and after seeking advice from a range of authorities, Qantas CEO Alan Joyce said he was now confident direct services could be recommenced.
“Qantas has been working closely with the Australian Government, as well as industry and health experts including the International Air Transport Association, International Civil Aviation Organisation, Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency and World Health Organisation to monitor the situation in Japan,” he said.
“Together with the advice of these authorities and our own assessments, Qantas is now satisfied that infrastructure services have returned to normal in Tokyo and our crew will now be able to undertake appropriate rest breaks,” Joyce said.
While Sydney-Tokyo flights will resume tomorrow, flights between Perth and Tokyo – which had also been diverted via Hong Kong – will be suspended indefinitely from May 10, 2011.